Monday 25 August 2014

Things I Hate - Book Edition

**A note on my notes: These are my opinions only.**


I hate a lot of things.

People in real life get sick of me complaining about everything. And by everything, I really mean everything. There are some issues that real life people will rant about with me for a few minutes because they understand. Books, however, are not one of those topics. So you're going to be subject to these complaints, and I'm not sorry for it.

1. Cover Changes
Sometimes, I really don't understand cover changes. How can anyone possibly think that a picture of a girls face will make a better cover than one of the most beautiful illustrations I've ever seen? I'm talking about the Delirium trilogy right here, if you're unaware. I seriously have no idea why a publisher will decide to change the cover of a book series halfway through... What on earth would make you decide that forcing people to have non-matching editions a good idea? What is wrong with you?

2. Covers with faces on them
Why do you think that people would want to own a book that has a huge face on the cover? You know that people judge books by their covers. You know that people will not buy a book they know nothing about if the cover doesn't catch their attention. You know all this. SO WHY DID YOU JUST PUT A GIRL'S FACE ON THIS COVER THAT IS ABOUT WAR AND REBELLION. Yes, I'm talking about Delirium again.

3. Huge copies before small copies
If you've ever followed a series from a time before the final book is released, then you probably know what I'm talking about. What I mean here is that, for example, the first two books in a trilogy are both a normal book size, but when the final instalment is released, the only copy I can buy is HUGE, and it's not until months later that a normal size edition is published. WHY. This happened to me both with Clockwork Princess and City of Heavenly Fire, and it seriously makes me so angry. I don't understand why anyone would think this was a good idea.

4. Not having books on the release date
If a book has been advertised as being released on a certain date, RELEASE IT ON THAT DATE! You don't get to allow people to buy it earlier. You should have the book on the shelves ready to be purchased on THE DATE THAT THE BOOK IS SUPPOSED TO BE RELEASED. People shouldn't be frustrated by driving all the way to whatever store just to buy a book on the day that it's released, and to be turned away because they don't have it. GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER AND FOLLOW SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS, LIKE THE DATE.

5. Prices
I live in Australia. Books are more expensive than everything. You can expect to pay around $25 for a paperback. A PAPERBACK. If you want a hardback copy, you'll probably have to search every book store for weeks before you find one, and you can expect to pay around $30-$40 for it. If you to buy books online, you better hope they're coming from Australia, because international shipping will set you back about $30 too. Think you're saving money by buying books from the Book Outlet online? Nope, because the shipping will cost you more than the books did.

You can follow me on Twitter here.
You can add me as a friend of Goodreads here.
You can subscribe to me on YouTube here.

No comments:

Post a Comment